Skip to content →

Category: Brewing Equipment

2019 Brewery Updates pt 2: Initial Implementation (and Failure)

I’ve made some progress with the design changes I detailed in post 1 of this series. I was able to implement the design, but in testing, it failed to give me the result I was hoping for. It has informed a revised design that I hold hope for working, however.

Leave a Comment

Sanke keg cleaning for homebrewers

I’ve long been a fan of sanke kegs. My first brewery in 2010 was built with converted sankes for the boil kettle, mash tun, and hot liquor tank. I have used sanke kegs extensively for fermentation, and for the past couple of years I’ve been turning to sanke kegs rather than corny kegs for all my beer serving needs (and I can fit a lot of sanke kegs in my beastly keg fridge). With all of these sanke kegs I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to clean them at my scale (roughly 10-15hL per year). You may have already seen my 3 various attempts at sanke keg clean-in-place (1 and 2, and 3), and I’ve now come to the conclusion that true sanke keg CIP is not entirely practical for a homebrewer like myself.


The ultimate keg fridge

As some followers of this blog know, I have a penchant for an obsession with shiny things. In the last year I’ve spent a lot of time on building my new brewery… and with this new brewery, I have a slightly larger brewing capacity. Each brew day typically leaves me with a full 50L keg of beer to share. These 50L kegs take up a lot of space however, and if I wanted to have more than two beers on tap at a time I was going to need to figure something else out.

One Comment

Brewery build pt 5: pumps

3A sanitary pumps are out of reach to homebrewers. Their price is at least an order of magnitude higher than what most of us are able and willing to spend. Recently, some brew-it-yourself-ers who are interested in sanitary design, but not so much the associated costs, have been modifying affordable food grade stainless steel pumps to be mostly sanitary. I am now amongst their ranks.