Brewery control panel revision 3

Today when I got home from my day at the University of Guelph as a PhD student, I was excited to see that the final piece required to complete the third revision of my control panel had arrived. I had been missing a 40a SSR (used for element control) due to a mix up in a parts order. Unfortunately it took a whole month to get here from China. Even more unfortunately, I have been too busy for this delay to have any impact on my brewing schedule.

The main changes to my panel in its third revision were the removal of an untrustworthy, cheap, 8 channel relay module and replacement with high quality solid state relays. While I was at it, I decided to also replace my element SSRs with higher quality ones. In total I have six 25a SSRs, which are used for lower amperage circuits, and the two 40a SSRs for the 5500 watt heating elements. Those six SSRs control keg fridge heating and cooling, fermentation chamber heating and cooling, and two pumps simultaneously by a Beaglebone Black running Strangebrew Elsinore.

Since I now have a wack of SSRs in my panel I decided I should add some ventilation. A 120mm case fan was a good fit. I also now have a temperature probe inside the panel to keep a closer eye on things. While just running my keg fridge and fermentation chamber, the case keeps 2-3F above ambient temperature in my garage. I’m very interested in seeing how it holds up over a full brew day this upcoming weekend!

Lots of pictures on the progression of my panel have been included below:

 

IMG_9990

Revision 3 exchanged an 8 channel relay module for six 25A SSRS, upgraded the element SSRs, added a panel fan, and an internal temperature probe.

New fan from the exterior of the panel

New fan from the exterior of the panel

Revision 2 saw the addition of 4 outlets for fermentation chamber and keg fridge temperature control, the removal of two large DPDT relays that had been used to ensure only a single element received power, replaced with a simple circuit involving the low powered element SSR inputs. It saw the removal of 2 SSRs previously used for pumps, replaced by an 8 channel relay module. Lastly some better internal wiring methods were used for the 1wire probes.

Revision 2 saw the addition of 4 outlets for fermentation chamber and keg fridge temperature control, the removal of two large DPDT relays that had been used to ensure only a single element received power, replaced with a simple circuit involving the low powered element SSR inputs. It saw the removal of 2 SSRs previously used for pumps, replaced by an 8 channel relay module. Lastly some better internal wiring methods were used for the 1wire probes.

Revision 1 used 4 SSRs to control 2 elements and 2 pumps. 1 DPDT relay was used for master power, and  2 DPDT relays to ensure only a single element could be powered at a time. Wiring of the 1wire probes was messy, with all temperature probes daisy chained on the Beaglebone Protocape.

Revision 1 used 4 SSRs to control 2 elements and 2 pumps. 1 DPDT relay was used for master power, and 2 DPDT relays to ensure only a single element could be powered at a time. Wiring of the 1wire probes was messy, with all temperature probes daisy chained on the Beaglebone Protocape.

  10 comments for “Brewery control panel revision 3

          Leave a Reply to Rick Hutfloetz Cancel reply

          Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *